Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Character of a Leader

Have you ever wondered what someone means when they say a person is of good character? I'm always interested in the character of a person with whom I associate.  I try to learn the character of my leaders, my managers, my partners... even before I give them my allegiance.  But what does that really mean?  Is it one of those words that we just throw out there and pretend that everyone shares the same meaning? 

Can you switch your character like a gorgeous suit and then take it off when it is convenient? Or should your character be like your personal brand?  Does the sparkle in your character only exist for a moment, or does its shine get more brilliant as you are tried and tested?

I decided to do a quick search and found, one dictionary defines character as “the complex of mental and ethical traits marking a person.” In another dictionary, character is "the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual".  Yet another definition suggests character is "the stable and distinctive qualities built into an individual’s life which determine his or her response regardless of circumstances.” Someone's grandmother told me, "you want to learn a person's character, watch how they are when times get bad."

Is character good or bad?  To say, "That person is a woman of character", "That is a man of character", usually infers good character.  Conversely, if you say, "That person has no character", then you imply the qualities and traits that individual possesses are not admirable.. are not good.

I look for friends with good character.  I look for leaders with good character.  Not so much what they have done or who they know, but the nature of the qualities that are distinctive to their person.  A person's character becomes his legacy.  A person's character defines the way she is known and thus, the expectation others have for her.  How would you define your character? How would others describe your character?

Maybe now is the time for a character inventory.  Is your character the way you would like it?  Will your character inspire someone to do a good thing?  Does your character make you proud? We can develop and refine our character, so I ask you... what is your character?  

Today I read about nine graces, or characteristics of the highest order: love, joy, peace, gentleness, patience, goodnesss, humility, temperance, and faith.  Today I aspire for those traits.  What is the character you want ... for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment