Monday, February 13, 2012

Let your light shine....

Today is one day after someone called me to ask whether I had heard that Whitney Houston had died.  Of course I hadn't heard that... because she hadn't died.  I was on my way to the supermarket and when I got there, I looked carefully into the faces of the shoppers. You see, I wanted to find signs that an alarming tragedy had not just happened.  Seeing nothing, I asked two customers... but they knew nothing.  My hope was alive, albeit fleeting. I was starting to see news on my smartphone.  Of course, now we all know the story is true even though it took a while to be reported.  Sad.

Sadder yet were the quick reports re-emphasizing the less glorious parts of Whitney's life. Certainly, the star of Whitney Houston had shone brightly in its time, hadn't it?  Maybe I am one of the few who was surprised at her passing.  Surprised because I was waiting for the movie Sparkle, and the new starts that would accompany it.  Surprised because I knew Whitney was trying to make a comeback.  Surprised because I wanted Whitney to finish strong and triumphant. And maybe she did. 

In searching for a way to make sense of this passing that for me feels devastatingly shocking and so, so sad, I want to share a recent post by one of my FB friends.  She wrote, "A flawed diamond is infinitely more valuable than a perfect pebble. How apt as we reflect on the life and times of Whitney Houston! Maybe we could resolve to be more accepting of each other - flaws and all, remembering that we all "have this treasure in jars of clay ...". After all, perfection is a figment of an over-active imagination."

As you look to develop your inner winner, you owe it to your best self to nurture the treasure of a gift you've been given.  Nurture your talent in your jar of clay, and honor it so your light will shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment